Sunday, December 5, 2010

Earth... is it like an onion?

So I just got done watching Shrek (the first one), and he talked about having many layers and then compared himself to an onion. This week for my lesson we discussed how the Earth has layers.

My lesson was great. The students really enjoyed it, and they seemed to learn the names of the layers. At the same time though it could have been that they just remembered the names because they wanted to eat their food. Either way, when they left my room they could identify the layers of the Earth.

I was not able to go to school the next day, and so I could not ask them what they remembered. However, I plan on asking them on Monday. This will be the true test. Then I will know if they information had truely sunk in.

Below are pictures of my students having fun learning about the layers.





4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Your students look engaged and the layers look very interesting. Would you mind naming few of the ingredients, so i can duplicate in my class? I have to admit my students love snacks and will be motivate to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. red candy, vanilla pudding (with food coloring), chocolate pudding, oreos, green sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also found students learn better when you add food. I used a variety of candies for cell structures when building animal and plant cells. Usually they associate the food item with the structure. I had students explain structures and functions to their partner, so they could compare and contrast differences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 5th grade science teacher at my school did this lesson as well. The students really enjoyed the lesson. It does not match up with my standards, however the students remembered it this year when they reached my class. They also were able to recall a rap song they created about the earth's layers.

    ReplyDelete