Sunday, March 20, 2011

science at my school

When I began teaching I acted like I knew everything, and asked for help when I was completely lost. Now I see that I have lost out on many valuable resources. Although I am only in my fourth year of teaching, I still like to act like I know everything just so I can show my students that I have it together. As for science, I would have been completely lost if it were not for my mentor teacher. She had this big binder full of science ideas and lessons. I was able to copy it and add it to my resources. This has allowed me to help others in my building with science ideas.

I have been moved grade levels two times. I began teaching first, then second grade for two years, and now I am back to teaching first. Because of this I really have only been able to talk and assist those two grade levels with science materials. I have gave others incite into lessons, and we talked about what would be ways to expand upon concepts into future lessons. I did have a colleague copy the book from me and she moved schools. This meant she was able to share my knowledge with her next school.

I had though about saying that I would do a science presentation at a staff development, but I am not sure what I would do. If any one has ideas I would love to hear them. My school receives a kit 3 times a year with science materials. This makes having teachers want to expand outside the kits to be really hard. Once teachers see things done one way "the easy way" they usually just go with it at my school because we are loaded down with so many other tasks. I overcome this by doing some lessons not in the kit with another teacher. When they see how much the students enjoy it they usually try to do the next lesson outside the box. Even if it is just 2 lessons done without the kit it is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment