Sunday, May 16, 2010

Marbles and Momentum

I choose to do the experiment where you need to see how momentum is effected by different surfaces. I found that the rougher the surface the less momentum an object had. The surface with the greatest momentum was a table top. Then came the carpet. In last place was a wicker basket. This is what I expected because I know that with a rough surface an object would have a hard time moving and so its velocity would slow down.

What worked well for this experiment is the fact that I had all the supplies I needed. I had to tip my laundry basket on its side (it is laundry day so it is empty!) but it worked out just fine. I also had a folding end table that I used to place a ramp off of. This way the ramp would be the same height the entire time, and the results could not be skewed by me pushing the marble with different forces. What did not work very well for this experiment is the fact that I had to lift the end table up on my table, and it was not a very safe environment.

As for modifications, I would have different squares of surfaces that can be placed on the ground and used instead of using the actual items themselves. It was hard to do, and since I did not do it in the classroom that was fine. I was unable to do it in my room this week due to state testing and other various end of the year assessments this week. I would like to do this with my class so using the squares would make it easier. To make this experiment more fun for the students I might have them place a Lego person at the end of the square and have them time the marble to see how long it takes to knock down the Lego person.

To make it more relevant to the students we could discuss trucks and how it takes longer to deliver objects over a rough road than a smooth one. I am not sure how else to make this relevant with my students.

I would like to have students learn about what velocity and momentum is. They know that objects can go fast but they do not know that means velocity. So overall, I would like them to know the vocabulary. Also that there are things that can interfere with the velocity and momentum of an object.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,
    I did the marble activity as well. I like your idea of using squares of material for the students to test. I also think the idea of the Lego person waiting to be knocked down will make this activity like a game. Hopefully, when we give our students a real life activity like this, the vocabulary will begin to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    I looked at the marble experiment when I was deciding on my topic, but I was not sure how I was going to control the amount of force i exerted on the marble to make it move on the different surfaces. Thank you for clearing up my dilemma. LOL. Sounds like an activity my 5th graders would love. I was thinking about what you said about having different pieces of flooring, you are right Home Depot has all the floor samples you can think of. I was also thinking sandpaper would be fun for the kids.

    Thanks again for taking on the marble Challenge.
    A. Lisowski

    ReplyDelete